Optometrists are primary care eye doctors who specialize in understanding how the human eye really works, as well as diseases and conditions that affect your vision - many of which do not have obvious symptoms. Eye doctors know how age and risk factors affect vision over time for young and old, and they understand the benefits and features of corrective lenses including eyeglasses and contacts.
Our optometrist takes the time to explain the results of your eye exam, describe your options and listen to your eye care needs. Because maintaining good eye health is an ongoing partnership, we encourage you to ask questions and share your health information, which could be vital to monitoring, diagnosing and treating potential vision problems.
Meet Optometrist in the Rim:
After optometry school, Dr. Elaine Vlasak completed one of the best residencies in the country at the VA in Baltimore, MD. She received advanced training in the diagnosis and treatment of ocular disease alongside internationally known eye doctors. Starting in 1996, she served as a clinical instructor for the University of Texas medical school department of ophthalmology for 9 years. During her tenure there, she saw patients at the Texas Diabetes Institute and the Frank Tejeda Veterans Affairs eye clinics. In 2011, she opened Custom Eye Care at The Rim and, at the same time, started teaching part time in the eye clinic at the University of the Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry.
Dr Vlasak is a fifth-generation Texan and has lived in San Antonio for 20 years. She loves traveling, music, and spending time with her family. Regarding optometry she says, “I learn so much from my patients and absolutely love serving others by caring for their eyes and vision.”
Summary of Dr Vlasak’s educational background:
- Texas Lutheran University in Seguin, TX, magna cum laude
- University of Houston College of Optometry, magna cum laude 1994
- Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Residency in hospital based optometry/ ocular disease, Baltimore/ Ft Howard Department of Veterans Affairs, MD 1995
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio department of ophthalmology, clinical instructor, 1996 – 2005
- University of the Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry, assistant clinical professor, 2011 to present