After optometry school, Dr. Elaine Vlasak completed one of the best residencies in the country at the VA in Baltimore, MD. She received advanced training in the diagnosis and treatment of ocular disease alongside internationally known eye doctors. Starting in 1996, she served as a clinical instructor for the University of Texas medical school department of ophthalmology for 9 years. During her tenure there, she saw patients at the Texas Diabetes Institute and the Frank Tejeda Veterans Affairs eye clinics. In 2011, she opened Custom Eye Care at The Rim and, at the same time, started teaching part time in the eye clinic at the University of the Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry.
Dr Vlasak is a fifth-generation Texan and has lived in San Antonio for 20 years. She loves traveling, music, and spending time with her family. Regarding optometry she says, “I learn so much from my patients and absolutely love serving others by caring for their eyes and vision.”
Summary of Dr Vlasak’s educational background:
- Texas Lutheran University in Seguin, TX, magna cum laude
- University of Houston College of Optometry, magna cum laude 1994
- Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Residency in hospital based optometry/ ocular disease, Baltimore/ Ft Howard Department of Veterans Affairs, MD 1995
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio department of ophthalmology, clinical instructor, 1996 – 2005
- University of the Incarnate Word Rosenberg School of Optometry, assistant clinical professor, 2011 to present